Tools needed: tape measure, calculator, paper & pencil
Special considerations: You are just trying to get an idea of how much your siding will cost. So, you don’t have to be exact with your measurements. By all means measure in Feet and round your measurements.
Example: 21 feet 8 inches could be 21 feet or 21.5 feet Keep it simple.
Siding prices are: for the purpose of this “How To Estimate Your Siding Costs” we are using a Top grade vinyl siding price of $4.50 per sq. ft.* Please refer to our prices page for other materials and options.
1) Pick a side of your home and draw the walls that will receive siding, breaking it into rectangles and triangles.
2) Now measure those rectangles and triangles. Write the measurements down on your drawing.
3) Continue around your house repeating steps 1 & 2, until you’ve measured your entire house.
4) Now add up all the rectangles and triangles. Use the formulas at the top of the page to get your areas for all of your rectangles and triangles. Add them all together. Now you have your house’s exterior square footage. (Fig. 4)
5) Last step, multiply the figure you came up with in step #4 times the siding cost per square foot. Example: $4.50 * 2300 = $10,350.00 Now you may add tax if it applies. Voila your done.
Notes: The price you came up with is a “ball park estimate,” every house is different. I would have to write a book to include all possible variables and I want to keep this simple. So, please keep in mind your actual siding bid could vary